Thursday, October 30, 2014

Worth the Wait

I've heard the phrase "Worth the Wait" used many times with regards to an individual's commitment to purity unto God and their future spouse.What a bold proclamation of truth in the midst of a society that praises instant gratification, and has a "in less than 5 minutes" option for just about everything.
The title of my blog is "Waiting for Him", and it's based on the verse from Hosea 12:6. A verse that reminds us to "hold fast to love and justice, and to wait for [our] Lord God continually" (ESV). I don't know about you all, but for me, waiting has a distinct feeling- one characterized by unique amalgamation of anticipation & pain, longing & forbearance, desire & sometimes doubt. This morning I read an article on DesiringGod.com , written by David Mathis, and these words stuck out to me, 
 "But part of waiting is the conscious hardship. We taste the bitter pill of patience and feel it slither ever so slowly down our throat. It’s not patience when we’re gloriously unaware of the waiting."


These words truly opened my eyes to the reality of my heart. You see, I usually don't mind waiting...as long as it doesn't feel like waiting. For example, if I'm having visitors over and I'm scrambling up to the last minute of their arrival (due to my procrastination), it doesn't exactly  feel as if I've waited upon their arrival. However, if I've cleaned my house ahead of time and had nothing else to actively do in preparation for my guests, I would find myself looking out the window every 5 minutes in anticipated expectation. That's what waiting feels like. 

As followers of Christ, we are constantly exhorted to "wait on the Lord". I don't think this is a mindless-twiddling-your-thumb kind of waiting, but it IS waiting nonetheless. It SHOULD have a distinct feel to it. A feeling of hope, joy, expectation, longing. In Christ we have the freedom to have "patience and endurance with joy" (Col 1:11). The reality of knowing that when Jesus died on our behalf, He fully took the wrath of God that we deserved, and in His resurrection, He has reconciled us to the Father is Good News. This means I don't have to be scrambling around trying to earn my salvation, in fear that my life will end, and I wont be ready. Instead this gives me the freedom to live life...actually live life. Live life in freedom and obedience to the Savior, knowing that I have already been justified,forgiven, reconciled, and I'm continually being transformed into the image of Christ.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 says to "give thanks in all things", and I literally believe that this verse means exactly what it says. Honestly though, upon til like ...an hour ago, I've NEVER once remembered ever saying thanks to God for having the opportunity to wait on Him. I have never seen waiting as something to be actively thankful for. Why not? Because my rationale behind waiting is: 
whoever is being waited upon, should say thanks to the person who is actively doing the waiting. 

And while that logic probably has some social relevance, when it comes to the matter of waiting upon the Creator of the Universe...erm...that ideology is pretty faulty. I am not waiting on God in hopes that He'll look at me and say "sorry I took so long. Will you forgive me? It wont happen again". 

When we look at waiting in Scripture, we see verses such as:

Isaiah 40:31 "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." 

Psalm 27:14 "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord."


 Psalm 40:1-3:"(To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.) I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, [and] established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, [even] praise unto our God: many shall see [it], and fear, and shall trust in the LORD."
All these verses reveal to us that waiting on the Lord is good! In His infinite graciousness, God has perfectly orchestrated that in waiting for Him; He renews our strength, He hears our prayers, He strengthens our hearts. Although we are waiting upon Him, we are STILL recipients of  His goodness. Our praises and thanksgiving are STILL due to Him, even amidst the waiting.

Ultimately, all of creation is waiting. Waiting for the glory of the coming Christ, and His followers to be revealed (Rom 8:19) Yet, of all things we can wait for: vacation, degrees, spouse, children, jobs, etc.

 Jesus is always going to be the One who is ultimately, "Worth the Wait".

Be Encouraged,
 Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts