Thursday, June 2, 2016

Adulting


Adulting. A new word that has made it's way into the English vernacular. What does it mean? Well, according to Urban Dictionary (reliable source):

Adulting (v): to do grown up things and hold responsibilities such as, a 9-5 job, a mortgage/rent, a car payment, or anything else that makes one think of grown ups.
Used in a sentence: Jane is adulting quite well today as she is on time for work promptly at 8am and appears well groomed.
Lol, well. That made me chuckle  giggle. You see, lately I have been trying to figure out this whole adult thing. And I've been failing horribly at it. I mean, horribly. 
Yes, I'm engaged. Yes, I graduated with a degree. Yes, I have a job. Yes, I pay rent. 
And while all those things may be true...
Yes.. I still make mistakes. Yes, I still didn't get that scholarship I applied for. Yes, I didn't update my address soon enough so missed  out on important information. Yes, I sometimes leave my fiance hanging during situations when he really could use my help. Yes, I sometimes cry because I feel as if I'll never get it right.And sometime all I want is to travel back in time to when my concern was "what Disney movie will be playing tonight?" (shoutout to all my old-school Disney watchers).

But God (I feel like this should be the title of my blog). Literally ..BUT GOD! He is so PERFECT IN ALL HIS WAYS! He has taught me so very much through this season of "figuring it out". I have realized that I am DEPENDENT. And if you know anything about me, you'll know I HATE being dependent on others, or feeling like a burden. However, being dependent on God is a beautiful beautiful thing. In this season the Holy Spirit has taught me that I need to be completely dependent upon the Lord, His Word, His grace, His Spirit , His perfection, and His absolute sufficiency. 
When I sin or fail, my tendency is to think evil thoughts. VERY VERY evil thoughts. I get "hopeless", and "pitiful" and downright evil in my thoughts. During those times it literally feels as if I am drowning in a sea of inadequacy and failure. But I have truly seen that  the WORD OF GOD is LIVING AND ACTIVE; Sharper than a double edged sword. It really pierces the division between soul and spirit, joint and marrow (Heb 4:12) It pierces and casts down the lies that I tell myself, the lies that Satan wants me to believe, and the lies from others.
Here are a few encouraging things for all of you who might be in a similar situation:
1. No one has it all figured out. No one. Although it seems like they do. No one is perfect
2. It is okay to fail. Just make sure you fail forward. What that simply (deceiving term) means is that you learn from your mistakes. You repent (if it was sin) , and you ask the Lord to help you gain wisdom on how to respond differently in the future. Prov 24:16
3. Be thankful and rejoice in the Lord...always! Yes..ALWAYS. Even on those days when you want to curl up under a rock. Find one reason to rejoice in who God is! I Thess 5:16-18
4.BE DEPENDENT. Yes. it;s a good thing to be completely and totally and utterly dependent on the Lord. He is sufficient. Remember that He is growing , and stretching, and pruning, and maturing you, for His GLORY. Php 1:6. He'll finish the good work He has started in you.
5. Have a goal, a vision, and a purpose for the Kingdom. This will drive you, even when you don't feel like being driven Matt 6:33
6. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Deut 3:16
7. YOU ARE NOT ALONE I Cor 10:13
8. Find strength and wisdom in Godly council and community. Prov 15:22
9. Pray for others. I know this is an odd thing to add on the list, but I've found that during these seasons, I can sometimes get so "me focused", I forget that others are out there carrying their own loads as well. May the Lord use you to point them to Him. Php 2:3-4
10. Have a blast! Really.You have life! You have breath in your lungs. Love Jesus. Trust Him. Treasure even the simple things in life. Psalm 103:13-19

Be encouraged. God is for us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts